Update

Hi there tout la gang,

We don't have much to say about research in practice at the Café right now

but we are talking policy and practice over here now: Literacy Enquirers.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

more meanderings


Here are some of the comments by literacy learners on Carol Goar's article, Put education focus on ABC not PhD:

From a Literacy Group

Here are four comments from literacy students in Toronto about the need for literacy programs:

-- I can do anything that is needed in my job, like drywalling, painting, framing and carpentry work. If I could read and write very good, I would be able to own my own business. I feel good that the literacy program is helping me to reach my goal.

-- My tutor says that I'm reading and writing better. I can read the subway signs now. I feel good that I can help my child more, too.

-- I'm 21 years old. I want to go to college to be a nurse. I need to improve my English skills first. I feel comfortable at the literacy program, and I am learning.

-- I'm a mom and I work part-time. When I come to the literacy program, I improve my literacy so that I can help my son with his homework. Also, I want to reach my goal of a full time job.

Submitted by Jumping In Group

No comments:

Post a Comment